Solo Backpacking Ilocos Norte: Cape Bojeador Lighthouse - Wandering Pinoy

Wandering Pinoy

iBlog and iWander

Home Top Ad

Monday, March 10, 2014

Solo Backpacking Ilocos Norte: Cape Bojeador Lighthouse

From Kapurpurawan Rock Formation, it took us approximately twenty minutes to reach Cape Bojeador Lighthouse. Also located in Burgos, Ilocos Norte, Cape Bojeador Lighthouse is a cultural heritage structure in Burgos, Ilocos Norte that was established during the Spanish Colonial period in the Philippines. It was first lit on March 30, 1892, and is set high on Vigia de Nagpartian Hill overlooking the scenic Cape Bojeador where early galleons used to sail by.


I first had a glimpse of this historical landmark back in 2003 during our educational field trip in History 1 under then instructor Eric Javar of UP Baguio. During our first visit, we were allowed to climb the lighthouse - by fives if I my memory serves me right - but, due to the precautionary measures implemented by the local government, climbing is no longer allowed these days. My recent visit would have been more exciting if we were allowed to climb.


I arrived at the lighthouse early eight in the morning. Except for the vendors, the care taker and Cid, I didn't see other visitors. The care taker told me that I "was too early" which is why no one's around yet. It was only past eight when other tourists, mostly in groups unlike me, came. I joined some of them go to the century-old lighthouse.

This is the fastest way to the higway.
I stayed at Cape Bojeador for almost an hour. When I realized that I'm overstaying, I left the lighthouse as quickly as I can and I took the "shortcut" to the highway. (The shortcut was revealed to me by the vendors at the lighthouse). I arrived at the highway in less than fifteen minutes. From the highway, I rode an ordinary bus going to Bangui Windmills. Another journey has begun.

At the highway.
(My solo backpacking was made possible by Lagalag Baguio - "you're adventure begins here" - and Partas Transporation Company Incorporated)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments. I'll be glad to reply to you anytime soon.